Thursday, July 10, 2008

Spring is in the AIR?

Adobe TV has posted another of my 'filthy rich' videos. My favorite part of this one (at least on the Adobe site - not sure if it holds true for the embedded version below) is the still frame in the thumbnail on the Adobe TV home page. I look like I'm holding up a field goal for the extra point in a game of paper football.
In this video, I show the "Spring" effect, with a Flex app that I wrote based on an original Java application by Romain Guy. Check out the video for now, and I'll get around to sanity-checking the Spring source code and posting it Real Soon Now.

10 comments:

Romain Guy said...

What are you gonna do when you will run out of effects to steal from me? :)

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't you have been better off using a Bitmap instead of a Sprite?

A Sprite has more overhead as is a container and interactive, neither of which are made use of in this example.

Anonymous said...

I've not tested the code, but I'm pretty sure you'd get some memory leak as well as the BitmapData's created never have dispose() called on them.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

Chet Haase said...

Romain: We need to write another book so that I have more material to draw from...

Chet Haase said...

Tink: Thanks for the suggestions; I'll put these on my list of TODOs as I clean up the source for posting.

Anonymous said...

I see you are on the way to rock again ;) I'm looking forward to your book, especially if it will be so geeky like FRC (modifying components and writing low level AS3 code to achieve cool effects). Actually, how would you make a grayscale image? ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Chet!
I'm really looking forward to get your code posted.
When do you you think you got it up?

best regards,
Wolfi
(styria-austria-europe-world)

Chet Haase said...

wolfi: Thanks for the prompt; check out my latest Springtime posting.

tink: Thanks for the code review; see the fixes in the posted source code.

Anonymous said...

This is very educative.

Thanks.

NakedKaf said...

Very nice implementation, thanks for the code.